Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mother Hen

Oh, my little mother hen! And this has not just started. It began from day one when we brought Abigail home. It started small....giving her the binkie or calling for me EVERYTIME Abi cried (as if I wasn't right there hearing it). Slowly, Amelia has grown from being a "helper" to being a "mother hen". The first bold move took place when Abi was just a few weeks old. Yes, she was still a newborn. With Abi in the swing and Amelia watching me, I opened the garage to start the car and get it warm. As I reached in and put the key in the ignition, my eyes glanced through the windshield to the open door of the utility room. There was Amelia....with Abi in her arms!!!! My heart about fell out of my chest. As fast as I could move, I ran over and gently took her into my more secure arms. I didn't want to yell in that moment (I could just see Amelia dropping her) so I found myself thanking her for being mommy's helper....then explained that only mommy should pick her up. Still to this day, I have no idea how Amelia was able to get Abi out of the swing (and so quickly). Lesson learned.
As Abigail gets bigger, so does my "hen". She is constantly giving her toys (none of which Abi cares for yet), still shoves the binkie in, and is always at her side. Today, Amelia was sitting on the couch watching cartoons. I layed Abi down on a blanket with a few toys. Both were absolutely content so I went in the kitchen to work on my grocery list. After just a couple minutes, here comes my hen announcing that Abi pooped. Big surprise. :) I said I'd be right there and off she ran...I assumed to finish her show. I finished writing my list (which took an entire 5 minutes) and made my way to the living room, prepared for a blowout. There was my precious 3 month old right where I left her....but completely naked!!! Thank the Lord above that there was no poop afterall!!! My hen decided that she needed a diaper change. So off went the clothes and diaper. By observation, it looked like she attempted to put a clean diaper on but then got distracted. No big deal, right? Except for the fact that Abi went potty everywhere!!!! No worries though....I cleaned everything up, threw it all in the washer, and once again, thanked Amelia for helping....then explained that only mommy should change Abi's diaper.

Awww.....my mother hen. Abigail has no chance.

Thank you Lord for Abigail's sister that loves her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment